Language isn't for study, is for communicating


I'm Living in Japan as foreigner. I always feel the needs about learning Languages because I'm in abroad. And everyday is day of learning it. Basically I can use Japanese, English, and Korean. I can treat with no difficulty on ordinary conversation.

But I only could speak my mother tongue until a few years ago. I haven't ever study in abroad and get any trigger makes me start learning languages.
Of course, I always had studied English by general curriculums for entering University. Even if I'd studied English, I couldn't make any communication as talking and writing.
Now I can make it like this. The reason is I just changed the way of learning. You'd rather refer to any other professionals if you want learning about much academic meterials. Even though I would like to introduce my way far from academics ways.

1.Backgrounds

Everyone has own backgrounds. we have a range of words. And the possiblity of response can be change in depend on own background. For example, Somebody wants to talk about how to play the violin or ask about medical knowledge. I can't answer anything. Maybe I can say only "hmm, sorry I don't know...". We can't catch ball of conversation if the topic is come out from indifference topics. But isn't this relevant to daily conversation? NO. Because this isn't able to common from other cultures.
Therefore, for smooth stream of conversation.

1. Understand own field. If the topic is come from others field, You need to know how to say It is out of my interestings or make turn the topics.

2. Make higher the understanding about the target culture. I think visiting the country can be best way for understanding. The reason why studing abroad is usually picked for language training is the good choice for understanding culture. Nowdays, Also we can learn about culture easily through videos like Youtube anywhere.

2. Own tongue

Everyone has their own way of speaking. Just as many Hollywood actors have their own way of speaking, so we all have our own language. Their own language depends on which country, city, or community we belong to and have their own unique way of speaking.
At first, it would be helpful to imitate the way your favorite actor talks.But I think the way I have dominated my life patterns and values is my own. Someone who gets up in the morning, eats bread, drinks coffee, and goes to work at 11:00 will talk differently from someone who gets up early in the morning and gets on the subway and arrives at work by 8 a.m.
The someone among my friend lives in the dominant culture of Confucian values. I don't know if it's for that reason. he is not very good at making strong arguments. So he always say "you might do this", "Maybe I like it" like this way in Korean. But It can be weird he say "YOU MUST DO THIS" or "I DEFINITELY LIKE THIS" in English even if his real mind isn't like this. That's why I want you to find your own way of speaking.

Check out what you often say in your way of speaking. Play the tape recorder all day long, and then review it in the evening and try to sort out what you said often. If you do it a week or a month, you will find out what the expressions often overlap.

If you go through this work, I think you can learn 3rd and 4th languages in a much easier way. because the next time when you learn another foreign language, you already know what the sentences you repeat. so you just replace it with another language. that's all.

댓글 쓰기

0 댓글